Director of Worship Studies Assistant Professor of Music, Worship Leadership
Website Oklahoma Baptist University
Department: The Division of Music in the Warren M. Angell School of Visual and Performing Arts
OBU Mission Statement
OBU transforms lives by equipping students to pursue academic excellence, integrate faith with all areas of knowledge, engage a diverse world, and live worthy of the high calling of God in Christ.
Oklahoma Baptist University achieves its mission through a shared commitment to the following expectations. All employees are expected to embrace these expectations and to model them in their behavior.
- Commitment to the essentials of the Christian faith
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Oklahoma Baptist University
- Commitment to active membership in a local evangelical church
- People are treated with dignity and respect
- Relationships are built on honesty, integrity, and trust
- Excellence is achieved through teamwork, leadership, and a strong work ethic
Oklahoma Baptist University (OBU) is seeking an enthusiastic and versatile musician to revitalize our worship studies program through expanding set boundaries in innovative ways while anchoring creative efforts in a classical foundation. The core of the Worship Studies program is built on theology, music, leadership, and technology. As Director of the program, the ideal candidate will be able to equip students in each of these areas, identify internship and post-graduation ministry opportunities for students, connect with Oklahoma Baptists Music leadership & other ministry partners, and lead students in a spiritually transformative educational experience that will equip them to serve in worship ministry anywhere.
The successful candidate will recruit, instruct, and develop instrumental and vocal musicians, bridging the past and the present to equip future shapers qualified to answer the profound questions of what it means to be a Christian musician in today’s culture & context.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a creative thinker and have experience leading worship and mentoring worship leaders. We are looking for someone who can expand our Worship Studies area, connect with local and regional churches, develop internships, and mentor students. Guitar expertise and worship leading experience are preferred. Experience leading from the piano or other instrument will also be considered. Other duties may include overseeing collaborative endeavors (e.g., between students and faculty from the Divisions of Music & Theology, etc.) and/or liaising with Student Life regarding the university worship band(s)’ biweekly chapel performances.
- Expand the reach of the Worship Studies music program to local
- Develop and launch internships for current students with local
- Collaborate with marketing and enrollment management personnel to recruit students and participate in ongoing recruiting events in subsequent years.
- Serve as the Coordinator of Worship
- Teach applied lessons (guitar preferred; piano and other instrumental education & experience will be considered).
- Coordinate with Student Life regarding worship bands that serve in biweekly chapels and at local churches.
- Collaborate with students and faculty from the Divisions of Music &
- Implement, administer, and operate advancements in the Worship Studies program that reflect the needs of the career.
- Develop and coordinate partnerships with local and regional
- Serve as a worship leader
- Teach a broad range of undergraduate courses in Worship Studies and
- Advise students in the
- Cast vision regarding and lead out in future opportunities for worship conferences hosted at OBU.
- Connect with current professional leaders in the music industry and invite them to work with our students.
- Participate in divisional duties as
- Remain professionally
- Participate within the campus community, serving on committees as
- Represent the University, School, and Division at the state, regional, or national
- Preferred: Teach Theory/Aural Skills sequence
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess a creative, forward-looking
- Demonstrate the ability to lead and mentor
- Develop and assess
- Understand and demonstrate a commitment to OBU’s excellence in undergraduate
- Demonstrate a personal and mature Christian faith which articulates an understanding of how Christian faith integrates with Worship Studies.
- Demonstrate proficiency in commercial
- Required: Instrumental performance and/or pedagogy graduate or post-graduate
- Preferred: PhD or DMA, guitar performance degree
- Required: Previous worship leader experience
- Preferred: experience in hymn writing, performance, leading worship, theory and aural skills, teaching, and applied lessons
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org