Dean for College of Arts & Sciences
Website Union University
The Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences has oversight responsibility for the planning, administration, evaluation and improvement of the academic and administrative programs, services, and functions of the College of Arts and Sciences. The Dean provides leadership to the faculty and staff in maintaining an excellent program of instruction consistent with the mission of the University. The Dean also has management oversight for curriculum
development, accreditation, budget administration, and university advancement.
Essential Job Duties:
• Direct the development, planning, implementation, administration, and continuous improvement of all academic curricula and programs, support services, and administrative functions of the College, including operating policies and procedures.
• Evaluate the quality and effectiveness of existing academic and departmental programs, services, and operating systems in the College of Arts and Sciences.
• Advance research, scholarly, and creative activity within the College in keeping with institutional initiatives and resources. Develop long-term goals and strategic plans for the College.
• Provide leadership in the hiring of faculty and staff for the College. Plan staffing needs and organizational structures. Make recommendations to the Provost on faculty appointment, reappointment, promotion, tenure, and termination.
• Direct and manage the work of faculty and staff who report directly to the dean and oversee the performance management of indirect reports. Ensure employees meet the professional and spiritual requirements of the University.
• Confer regularly with department chairs, faculty, and staff to plan, coordinate, and evaluate activities. Provide counsel on issues and lead in problem-solving.
• Advance excellence in teaching by supporting, encouraging, and managing faculty development and evaluation. Ensure that non-faculty staff are provided with development opportunities.
• Work with the Provost on planning full-time and part-time faculty teaching assignments, developing the academic calendar, coordinating academic schedules, and enlisting faculty for various University functions such as Preview Days, New Student Orientation, Graduations, etc.
• Oversee the assignment of faculty advisors for students and the training and evaluation of faculty advisors.
• Develop and manage budgets for the Dean’s Office and the academic programs of the College of Arts & Sciences.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Provost and President.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Ph.D. in a discipline of the Arts and Sciences and five years of distinguished teaching experience in the Arts and Sciences that includes two years of administrative experience (e.g. department chair) is required. Must possess a background of public speaking and a commendable publishing record (e.g. books, articles). A history of demonstrated leadership, budget accountability, and a commitment to fundraising are also required. This position also requires the ability to manage a complex organization while articulating a strategic vision for the future. Preference will be given to applicants with
demonstrated experience as an articulate advocate for the liberal arts and the Christian intellectual tradition.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.uu.edu.