Dean, College of Business
Website Dallas Baptist University
Founded in 1898, Dallas Baptist University is a comprehensive, Christ-centered university with a mission to produce servant leaders who will seek to transform the world for the glory of God. The DBU campus, located in the southern foothills of Dallas, is home to more than 4,300 students, some 2,000 of which reside on campus. DBU offers a variety of degree options for students on the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
The College of Business is seeking to provide an exceptional business education that is honoring to Christ. We believe our mission is to equip students by training them in the classroom so they will establish a Christ-centered worldview that they can take out into the world and transform their organizations and communities.
The College of Business is seeking to find its next Dean who will not only continue to advance the mission of DBU and continue the success of the College but also propel its work to the next level.
This new leader will carry on the tradition of servant leadership that has been established throughout DBU, with a student-centered focus and a desire to mentor and train students in addition to developing a spirit of camaraderie and unity among the faculty, both in the College of Business and throughout the DBU community.
Above all, the Dean should model the Christ-centered focus of DBU and demonstrate a strong commitment to the two greatest commandments: to love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love their neighbor as themselves. It is the belief of DBU that this second commandment is best understood through the principle of servant leadership.
Therefore, the next Dean of the College of Business should embrace and embody the ideals of what it means to be a servant leader—seeing their role as a servant to the University and college as well as those who make up the DBU Family; putting the needs of others ahead of himself or herself; attempting to place individuals in the best possible positions to succeed in their God-given callings; approaching the position with a high level of humility, knowing that their role is a temporary shepherd, not the owner, of the University; demonstrating a winsome and engaging personality and faith that welcomes input and involvement from others; and treating all levels of the University community with kindness, compassion, and gentleness, while also helping the University and the College of Business continue to strive for excellence.
Applicants for this position should also have a terminal degree in business, as well as an extensive background in teaching or leading in business. They should also be active members of their local Baptist church.
Applications will be accepted until September 30, 2022. For further inquiries, please email email@example.com.
- Must be a Christian who is a member of a church that holds Jesus Christ to be their Lord and Savior, and who holds solely the Old Testament and the New Testament as sacred Scriptures.
- Must be an active member of a local Baptist church.
The Dean of the College of Business understands and is committed to the educational values of a Christian, liberal arts education. This individual supports the mission of Dallas Baptist University and the College of Business and has appreciation for the importance of a quality Christian higher education, the integration of faith and learning, and the development of servant leaders. The Dean must be a Christian and an active member of a local Baptist church that holds the Old and New Testament to be Sacred Scripture and that salvation comes only through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior.
Skills used in the position of the Dean of the College of Business include communication, leadership, evaluation, organization, and implementation. Assignments and responsibilities will require high levels of professionalism and confidentiality. Effective performers manage multiple projects and work well with others in a continually changing environment. This individual must be able to meet and deal with a variety of people and resolve issues in a judicious manner that is fair to the individual and the university.
The Dean of the College of Business will generally hold at least an earned terminal degree, preferably in the area of business (Ph.D. or DBA). Five years of relevant business management experience and/or academic experience is required.
The Dean of the College of Business is expected to practice, advocate, and promote the highest standards of scholarship, academic achievement, honesty, and professional integrity.
The Dean of the College of Business is responsible for the overall management of the College of Business, comprised of the MBA, MAM, MSM, MSITM, MSACT, MSSCM, MSOCP, BBA, and BBS programs. This position works directly with the Provost. The position has direct responsibility for leading, planning, organizing, directing and controlling of human and other resources to achieve the mission of the University and the College of Business in achieving its goals and objectives efficiently and effectively. Other institutional relationships include, but are not limited to, each of the various colleges on campus, Graduate Affairs, Corporate Affairs, Registrar’s Office, International Office, Financial Aid, and Office of the President.
- Provides leadership and directions to the faculty and staff of the College of Business in an effort to create an environment that fosters faith integration, quality education, and servant leaders.
- Collaborates with a cross-section of constituency groups including, but not limited to faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, and marketplace leaders.
- Cultivates marketplace leaders in the DFW area, donors, potential donors, and University stakeholders
- Chairs the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) committee and works very closely with the committee members and stakeholders to develop a strategic plan and an outcome assessment program based on Critical Performance Indicators (CPI). The strategic plan includes initiatives, short and long term objectives, goals, and baseline data. The Dean monitors and recommends strategic changes to programs based on stakeholder needs while adhering to the mission statement of the College and the University.
- Serves as a member of the Dean’s Council.
- Collaborates with the faculty in reviewing majors and/or concentrations and developing proposed curriculum changes. Serve as liaison for the College of Business to the appropriate academic committees.
- Monitors catalog updates and refines information in respective selections of the undergraduate catalog. Works with the Graduate Programs Directors to update and refine respective selections of the graduate catalog.
- Supervises the Graduate Program Directors.
- Supervises the Director of the Center for Business as Mission.
- Oversees the development of class schedules and rotational assignments of faculty in collaboration with the Graduate Program Directors, undergraduate and graduate advisors, and Secretary to the Dean of the College of Business.
- Has responsibility for the annual College of Business assessment report based on the program objectives.
- Has responsibility for the selection and hiring of faculty and collaborates with the Secretary to the Dean in the mentoring of new faculty.
- Has the responsibility to assess the performance of full and part time faculty through classroom observation, syllabus, and feedback from students.
- Resolves faculty and student issues in an efficient and expeditious manner.
- Develops the College of Business budget based on program objectives. Monitors and approves the budget expenditures in an effort to not exceed the authorized budget.
- Monitors and approves the requisition of supplies, equipment, and services.
- Reviews and authorizes continuous progress, independent studies, incompletes, course substitutions, changes of grades, and final grade reports.
- Responsible for payroll advices for each faculty member and the faculty overloads in the College of Business.
- Guides faculty and students in following the steps outlined in the academic misconduct and appeals process.
- Serves on various university committees.
- Represents the university at various meetings, conferences, and other events.
- Pursues continual learning opportunities in an effort to enhance the College of Business.
- Teaches one course each long semester.
- Other duties as assigned.
Dallas Baptist University welcomes nominations and applications for the Dean of the College of Business.
Recommendations may be submitted to DBU Provost Dr. Norma Hedin at firstname.lastname@example.org. For full consideration, all materials for candidates should be submitted no later than September 30, 2022.
If you know of a candidate who meets these qualifications, or if you feel led to apply for this opening, an application and other required documents may be submitted online by going to www.DBU.edu/businessDean
Checklist for Application
- Resume and/or CV
- Official Transcripts
- Pastor’s Recommendation
- DBU Application
- Applications must be submitted online by going to www.DBU.edu/businessDean
To apply for this job please visit www.dbu.edu.