Chair – Dept of Music in the College of Visual and Performing Arts
Website University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
The University of Mary Hardin Baylor’s College of Visual and Performing Arts seeks a Department Chair for its Department of Music, with appointment beginning in late July of 2024. The Department Chair serves under a 10-month tenure-track faculty contract and administrative appointment letter and will report directly to the dean of the college. UMHB seeks faculty who are active Christians and dedicated teacher-scholars to prepare students for leadership, service, and faith-informed discernment in a global society.
The College of Visual and Performing Arts is comprised of the Music Department and the Art Department, with additional coursework in Theatre. The Music Department is NASM accredited and offers BM, BA and BS undergraduate degree programs within a strong liberal arts tradition and includes Majors in Church Music, Music Business, Music Education, and Vocal Performance. The Department of Music has eleven (11) full-time faculty and approximately ten (10) adjunct faculty. More information is available at UMHB Music Department. UMHB is conveniently located in Belton, an historic town of 22,000 in the heart of central Texas. Nearby cities are Temple (5 miles), Waco (45 miles), Austin (65 miles), San Antonio (130 miles) and Dallas/Ft. Worth (130 miles). Excellent schools, abundant cultural and recreational opportunities, and a high quality of life are hallmarks of the
Teaching: The department chair will have a teaching assignment of approximately 12 load credits per year, based on area of expertise and departmental need. Activities required of all faculty include exemplary teaching, curriculum development, student advising; professional attainment; and service to department, college, university, and the community. Summer teaching, if any, is paid on a separate faculty compensation scale.
Administrative: Primary responsibilities include leadership of music faculty members and a departmental secretary; recruit, interview, hire (in consultation with the dean), and evaluate adjunct faculty in the Department; consult with the Dean on full-time faculty evaluations; oversight of assigned search committees; orientation and professional development of faculty; coordination of the department’s course schedule for each term; propose new programs and course curriculum; program accreditation and assessment activities; budget development and oversight; represent the College at recruiting and other university events; articulate and implement university policy.
• A terminal degree (PhD, DMA or equivalent) in the field is required.
• Broad-based understanding of Music academics, ensembles, and applied music in a liberal arts environment is required.
• Evidence of a creative practice, research, and/or submission of performance activity is required.
• Candidates with previous administrative (academic or non-academic) and/or supervisory experience is preferred.
• Excellent teaching and communication skills, a dedication to professional attainment, and commitment to quality improvement are essential.
• Must be an active, and committed Christian.
The successful candidate should be a:
• Communicative leader who can build relationships within the department, College and the University;
• Strategic leader, willing to promote innovative ideas for a growing department and sharing a demonstrated philosophy of student-centered teaching;
• Visionary leader who understands the benefits of traditional music training balanced with current and future trends in music;
• Christian leader who can apply their personal commitment to Christ to further the Christian mission of the school, college and the university.
Salary, Rank & Benefits:
Competitive salary and rank commensurate with experience, excellent benefits including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan with match and UMHB tuition benefits for employees and their dependents.
TO APPLY: Click the link below for more details and to apply. Please submit a cover letter, CV, research/performance evidence, transcript copies and evidence of quality teaching performance with your online application. Your letter of interest should also respond to UMHB’s mission and values, found at http://about.umhb.edu/ourmission. In addition, include in one page or less, a description of your own Christian
beliefs and commitments.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. For full
consideration, applications should be received by October 1, 2023
To apply for this job please visit www.umhb.edu.