Associate Vice President for Business Services/Controller
Website Union University
Union University seeks a qualified individual for the position of Associate Vice President for Business Services/Controller. As chief accounting and reporting officer, this position is responsible for managing day-to–day operations of the Office of Business Services and directing all accounting functions of the University. Provides assistance to the Vice President for Business Affairs as directed.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master‘s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown, Hendersonville, and Memphis, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls about 3,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 48 states and 15 countries, Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ–centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top-tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence.
- Provide leadership and oversight for the daily operations of student accounts, accounts payable, and general accounting functions.
- Prepares and provides the monthly budget analysis, cash flow projections, and financial statements (internal and external).
- Establishes, monitors, and controls the fiscal policies and procedures of the University, ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), the IRS, the Department of Education, and other applicable regulations. Protects assets by establishing, reviewing, and enforcing internal controls.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the Office’s overall goals and objectives, directs and oversees the hiring, development, management, and evaluation of staff.
- Oversees and manages daily cash activity. Acts as the University’s liaison with the financial institutions for day-to–day treasury operations,
- Plans, coordinates, and acts as the primary contact for the annual financial audit, the Uniform Guidance audit of federal funds, and any IRS forms (990, 990-T, 1098-T, etc.).
- Manages the financial component of federal grants and federal loan funds including monitoring and reviewing of expenses, governmental reporting, and timely drawdowns of funds.
- Assists with preparing the internal budget and monitoring of budgets during the year.
- Provides support and financial information in response to the needs of various constituencies including departmental chairs, senior management, and Board of Trustees.
- Ability to create and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external constituents.
- Manages the depreciation schedule and oversees equipment inventory.
- Responsible for daily banking and deposit of funds.
- Stays informed and abreast of trends, changes, and best practices in the accounting field.
- Engages in professional development activities, including attending conferences and participating in training offerings. Attends monthly meetings with the Vice President to review progress on assigned projects, report on the status of work towards established annual goals, and discuss both accomplishments and challenges.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor‘s degree in Accounting or related field and at least five years of experience in accounting. A CPA license is preferred. Preference will also be given to candidates with a graduate degree and demonstrated accounting experience within a non-profit organization, ideally an institution of higher education.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission, and Core Values (http://www.uu.edu/about/what-we-believe.cfm), and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com