Associate Professor/Professor – Creative Writing
Website University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor’s College of Humanities and Sciences seeks a full-time, tenure-track faculty member in English, beginning in August of 2022. UMHB seeks faculty who are active Christians and dedicated teacher-scholars to prepare students for leadership, service, and faith-informed discernment in a global society.
The English Department offers two undergraduate degree programs: a BA in English and a BA in English with Teaching Certification in English Language Arts and Reading, Secondary Level 7-12.
UMHB is conveniently located in Belton, an historic town of 22,000 in the heart of central Texas. Nearby cities are Temple (5 miles), Waco (45 miles), Austin (65 miles), San Antonio (130 miles) and Dallas/Ft. Worth (130 miles). Excellent schools, abundant cultural and recreational opportunities, and a high quality of life are hallmarks of the local community.
Faculty Responsibilities: Activities required of all faculty include exemplary teaching, curriculum development, student recruitment and advising; professional attainment; and service to department, college, university, and the community.
Specific Responsibilities: Teach all levels of English classes including freshman composition and sophomore-level literature. Upper-level classes include Creative Writing: Prose and Creative Writing: Poetry. This position also oversees the publication The Windhover, a journal dedicated to promoting creative writing which considers Christian perspectives and engages spiritual themes. The journal currently publishes two issues per year. Additional responsibilities include directing a bi-annual (every other year) Writers’ Festival which brings in featured presenters who give readings and lead workshops. The festival also features panels comprised of local, regional, and national writers. Full-time faculty members typically will teach 12 hours per semester with three course preparations, so this position comes with one course release per year to allow time for journal and festival duties.
- PhD with an emphasis in Creative Writing; an ABD will be considered if candidate is graduating in spring 2022 (a completed doctorate degree is required for tenure track). MFA in Creative Writing is also acceptable if the candidate is qualified to teach literature courses.
- Candidate must show evidence of being able to teach creative fiction, creative non fiction, and prosody at the junior and senior (3000/4000) level.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates who have experience with the production of creative writing journals. We will also take into full consideration any publications which have not been self-published.
- Excellent teaching and communication skills with a commitment to scholarly research and enhancing the quality of education are required.
- Candidate must be an active, committed Christian.
Salaries & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience, excellent benefits including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan with match and UMHB tuition benefits for employees and their dependents.
TO APPLY: Visit www.hr.umhb.edu/careers for more details and to apply. Please submit a cover letter, CV, transcript copies and evidence of quality teaching performance (e.g. teaching evaluations, faculty evaluations, peer observations, etc.) with your online application. Your letter of interest should also respond to UMHB’s mission and values, found at http://about.umhb.edu/our-mission. In addition, include in one page or less, a description of your own Christian beliefs and commitments. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.hr.umhb.edu.