Associate Dean and Director of Learning Resources Townsend Memorial Library
Website University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
The University of Mary Hardin Baylor seeks qualified candidates for Associate Dean and Director of Learning Resources to lead its Townsend Memorial Library. This is a year-round, non-tenure track faculty position with initial appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor, commensurate with experience. UMHB seeks faculty who are active Christians and dedicated teacher-scholars to prepare students for leadership, service, and faith-informed discernment in a global society.
The Associate Dean and Director of Learning Resources provides strategic leadership for serving the evolving information needs of students and faculty in a digital world. The Associate Dean and Director is responsible for planning and management of library resources and close collaboration with library and faculty colleagues to ensure the successful implementation of services including: information literacy program development, collection development, and reference and instruction services. The successful candidate will also provide guidance for the assessment of library services, and oversight of library personnel, facilities and budget.
The Townsend Memorial Library serves to support the University Mission by providing a supportive environment for open inquiry as an integral part of effective learning and teaching in a Christian environment. In addition to the Associate Dean and Director of Learning Resources, five professional librarians and four full-time staff seek to provide access to a wide range of resources along with the critical skills necessary to find, evaluate, and synthesize useful materials supporting curricular, vocational, and life-long learning needs.
UMHB is conveniently located in Belton, an historic town of 22,000 in the heart of central Texas. Nearby cities are Temple (5 miles), Waco (45 miles), Austin (65 miles), San Antonio (130 miles) and Dallas/Ft. Worth (130 miles). Excellent schools, abundant cultural and recreational opportunities, and a high quality of life are hallmarks of the local community.
Faculty Responsibilities: Librarians are members of the UMHB faculty and are expected to demonstrate continuous professional development in addition to performing their specific responsibilities. This expectation includes participating in and contributing to departmental, library and campus-wide committees/working groups and maintaining a broad awareness of current and emerging issues that affect research, teaching and learning, as well as service to the university and the community.
Specific Responsibilities: The Associate Dean and Director of Learning Resources provides leadership for the Townsend Memorial Library. Within the university’s policies and parameters, specific duties will include:
- Provide visionary leadership to develop short- and long-range plans for the library, consistent with the vision, mission, and goals of the university.
- Provide effective library faculty/staff leadership, supervision and professional development.
- Collaborate effectively with campus constituencies concerning the development and provision of library resources and services.
- Consult in curricular planning processes to plan for, and provide necessary learning resource support.
- Develop and oversee implementation of new initiatives, services, and applications of emerging technologies to foster learning and research.
- Oversee acquisition and maintenance of electronic and print resources, online services, library website, and the functionality and appearance of the physical environment in support of the university curricula.
- Formulate and manage annual Library budget, ensuring fiscal responsibility; prepare reports as requested
- Represent the library to university administration and other units, vendors, and outside organizations
Qualifications and Skills:
- An MLIS or MLS from an ALA-accredited program.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible library experience in higher education, supervisory experience preferred.
- Expertise in information literacy standards and current industry trends with the ability to create engaging presentations, workshops and online materials for use by students, faculty and staff.
- Thorough knowledge of current library practices, procedures, and trends in institutions of higher education and a strong commitment to student-centered library services.
- Excellent teaching and communication skills, a dedication to professional attainment, and commitment to quality improvement are essential.
- Must be an active and committed Christian.
Salaries & Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience, excellent benefits including medical and dental insurance, retirement plan with match and UMHB tuition benefits for employees and their dependents.
TO APPLY: Visit www.hr.umhb.edu/careers for more details and to apply. Please submit a cover letter, CV, and transcript copies with your online application. Your letter of interest should also respond to UMHB’s mission and values, found at http://about.umhb.edu/ourmission. In addition, include in one page or less, a description of your own Christian beliefs and commitments. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.hr.umhb.edu.