Assistant Professor of Spanish and Linguistics
Website North Greenville University
College of Humanities and Sciences
School of Humanities and Social Science
Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics
The Department of Modern Language and Linguistics is receiving applications for an position of assistant professor of Spanish and Linguistics position beginning August 2023. Candidates applying for this position should hold a PhD in Linguistics or Spanish with at least 18 graduate hours in the other field. Preference will be given to those with teaching experience and to those with a demonstrable interest in research as appropriate for undergraduates, including incorporation of research into coursework. We particularly invite candidates who will enhance the racial, ethnic, gender, or cultural diversity of our university. To receive full consideration, all applications should be received by January 8, 2023.
North Greenville University is a teaching university affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. Members of the NGU faculty are orthodox Christians who have a strong personal faith in Jesus Christ, are role models in their piety and ethics, maintain active membership in an evangelical congregation, and mentor students academically and spiritually. They are Christian scholars who reflect upon their discipline from the perspective of a biblical worldview and are expected to teach in accordance with, and not contrary to the university’s Statement on Human Flourishing. All employees of NGU are required to abstain from illegal drugs and beverage alcohol.
- Teach in-person, 12 credit hours per semester as assigned (opportunities to teach summer, online, or other courses will be available)
- Maintain regular office hours
- Effectively utilize and monitor NGU’s learning management system
- Serve on faculty committees
- Participate in campus-wide events (e.g., convocation, graduation)
- Model genuine Christian faith in and beyond classroom
- Intentionally and explicitly integrate the Christian faith with your teaching and scholarship
- D. (or very close ABD) in Linguistics or Spanish
- University teaching experience preferred
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Willingness to collaborate with colleagues in a close-knit community
- Mobility: Able to move between buildings and attend classes, meetings, and functions across campus.
- Speaking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, professionally, and with a contextually appropriate tone and volume.
- Cognitive/Emotional: Ability to critically think and express emotions and thoughts in an honest, collegial, constructive, and prudent manner
All faculty are expected to be able to travel to campus for all class sessions and occasional departmental and faculty meetings.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS and SCHEDULE
This position is subject to the university’s background check policy. This is a full time, nine-month teaching contract. Modern Language faculty report to the Chair of the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics, the Associate Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Dean of the College of Humanities and Sciences, and the Provost.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee. S/he will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties as requested by his or her supervisor.
As part of the online application, candidates must submit a cover letter, CV, transcripts, and the contact information for two professional references and from a leader in your church. Review of candidates will continue until the position is filled. To receive full consideration, all applications should be received by January 8, 2023.
Please address all inquires to Dr. Ben Coates, chair, at: email@example.com
Please complete the online application here: https://ngu.edu/life-at-ngu/jobs-at-ngu/
To apply for this job please visit ngu.edu.