Assistant Professor of Media Production
Website Wayland Baptist University
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
ACADEMIC SCHOOL: School of Creative Arts
SUPERVISED BY: Dean of School of Creative Arts
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The School of Creative Arts seeks an Assistant Professor of Media Production who will vitalize the development of Wayland’s media arts program in the School of Creative Arts. In addition to providing contemporary training in film, video, radio, and/or social media platforms, the successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to collaborate with faculty in communication studies, music production, and graphic design to prepare students for career success in interdisciplinary media arts while emphasizing the cultivation of creative expression, effective communication, and entrepreneurial vision. As a faculty member of Wayland, he/she will represent the university’s academic and spiritual emphasis to the students, faculty, staff, and the community in a manner consistent with the University’s mission and purpose.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Teaching load will total 24 semester hours per academic year.
- 3 load hours per long semester (6 hours of the 24 total) are released for program oversight and management of Wayland’s media outlets.
- This is a 12-month position including summer internship supervision and radio station oversight.
- Advising undergraduate students as assigned.
- Active engagement in School of Creative Arts recruiting and retention initiatives.
- Serving on University and School of Creative Arts committees as assigned.
- Active engagement in professional development and creative/scholarly activities.
- Active engagement in service appropriate to the university faculty member.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean, School of Creative Arts or Vice President of Academic Affairs.
QUALIFICATIONS: A commitment to Christian Higher education and agreement with the purposes and philosophy of Christian higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas/Texas Baptists in general and Wayland Baptist University in particular.
Education, Certification, and License: The candidate must have at least one graduate degree in an area of media production or a related field as applicable to the position.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Professional experience in one or more areas is expected: film, video, television, radio, and/or social media.
- Experience in teaching, scholarship, and service in higher education is preferred.
- Basic understanding and support of diverse approaches within higher education with a willingness to embrace innovative pedagogy and distance learning programs as necessary.
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrate a well-rounded understanding of current and emerging trends in multimedia production and media arts in general.
- Be technologically current with digital media and its industry-standard software and hardware relevant to the position.
- Ability to teach courses such as digital production, writing & editing for media, lighting, film, cinematography, screenwriting, media management, and media in ministry.
- Willingness to design and deliver innovative and relevant curricula with colleagues within the School of Creative Arts and with those across the institution with interdisciplinary interests.
- Willingness to provide oversight for Wayland’s radio station and other campus media services as needed.
- Willingness to oversee media program adjunct faculty as needed.
- Willingness to coordinate campus media student workers and work to cultivate and oversee off-campus internship opportunities.
- Willingness to serve as a consultant for Wayland’s athletic streaming area and assist with identification of potential student workers.
- Willingness to coordinate recruiting activities and to represent the School of Creative Arts to public school media teachers.
- Willingness to participate enthusiastically in long-range planning initiatives within the School of Creative Arts and within the university.
- An interest in teaching at a university where teaching excellence and innovation are highly valued.
- A strong Christian commitment and the willingness to be involved in the life of the university and her students.
- Willingness to occasionally travel off-campus for representation and recruiting events.
- Excellent communication skills and flexibility in working with others.
- Commitment to leveraging the university learning management system to facilitate instruction, as well as to learning other instructional technologies needed to perform the tasks and responsibilities detailed in this job description.
- Endorsement by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Able to pass Background Checks.
- Must have no delinquent or defaulted items on Credit Report. A credit check will be conducted to ensure the requirement is met.
THE SCHOOL OF CREATIVE ARTS: Wayland’s newest academic school consists of nine full-time faculty within three departments: Art & Design, Media & Communication, and Music. The School of Creative Arts unites future professionals and dedicated faculty and staff within a mentor-apprenticeship culture devoted to the promotion of artistic excellence, entrepreneurial vision, and Christ-centered servant-leadership.
Wayland Baptist University is a liberal arts university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas/Texas Baptists. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is a residential campus, ten external campuses, and WBUonline, and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in a broad range of academic areas.
LEARN ABOUT US: Candidates may learn more at www.wbu.edu
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Applications may be submitted online – access it from the top of this web page by clicking on Application for Employment. Interested individuals should submit the following information in Word or PDF Formats:
- Letter of Interest/Cover Letter
- Completed University Application of Employment with Faith Statement and Teaching Philosophy: (Link to Application) https://www2.wbu.edu/jobapp/empapp.aspx
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- List of three current references with contact information
- Copies of transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate academic work
- Link(s) to creative work samples
Please submit this information digitally to:
Rafael Aguilera – Wayland Human Resources
Wayland Baptist University – Plainview Campus
1900 W. 7th Street, CMB #1274
Phone: (806) 291-3451
Fax: (806) 291-1981
Formal review of material will begin March 17, 2023 and continue until position is filled. Anticipated start is August 2023.
Specific questions regarding the position may be addressed to Dr. Ann Stutes, Academic Dean – School of Creative Arts, Wayland Baptist University at email@example.com or 806-291-1065/806-790-1549.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.
Job Description Approved by: Dr. Cindy McClenagan – VPAA
Approved Date: February 22, 2023
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org