Assistant Professor of Linguistics and TESOL
Website North Greenville University
DEPARTMENT: Modern Languages and Linguistics
The Modern Language and Linguistics Department at North Greenville University invites applications for the position of assistant professor of Linguistics and TESOL. Candidates applying for this position should hold a PhD in Linguistics and a minimum of 18 graduate hours in TESOL (or a graduate certificate or an MA). Holding 18 graduate hours in Spanish would be a plus. Preference will be given to those with teaching experience and to those with a demonstrable interest in research as appropriate for undergraduates, including the incorporation of research into coursework. We particularly invite candidates who will enhance the racial, ethnic, gender, or cultural diversity of our university.
North Greenville University is a teaching university affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. Members of the NGU faculty are orthodox Christians who have a strong personal faith in Jesus Christ, are role models in their piety and ethics, maintain active membership in an evangelical congregation, and mentor students academically and spiritually. They are Christian scholars who reflect upon their discipline from the perspective of a biblical worldview and are expected to teach in accordance with, and not contrary to the university’s Statement on Human Flourishing. All employees of NGU are required to abstain from illegal drugs and beverage alcohol.
Review of candidates will continue until the position is filled.
- Teach in-person, 12 credit hours per semester as assigned (opportunities to teach summer, online, or other courses will be available)
- Maintain regular office hours
- Effectively utilize and monitor the learning management system
- Guide curriculum and program development in the areas of linguistics and
- Serve on faculty committees
- Participate in campus-wide events (e.g., convocation, graduation)
- Model genuine Christian faith in and beyond classroom
- Intentionally and explicitly integrate the Christian faith with your teaching and scholarship
- Ph.D. (or very close ABD) in Linguistics plus 18 graduate hours in TESOL and
Possibly 18 graduate hours in Spanish
- University teaching experience preferred
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Willingness to collaborate with colleagues in a close-knit community
- Mobility: Able to move between buildings and attend classes, meetings, and functions across campus.
- Speaking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, professionally, and with a contextually appropriate tone and volume.
- Cognitive/Emotional: Ability to critically think and express emotions and thoughts in an honest, collegial, constructive, and prudent manner
All faculty are expected to be able to travel to campus for all class sessions and occasional departmental and faculty meetings.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS and SCHEDULE
This is a full-time, nine-month teaching contract. Modern Language faculty report to the Chair of the department, the Associate Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Dean of the College of Humanities and Sciences, and the Provost.
As part of the application, candidates must submit a cover letter, CV, and transcripts, and the contact information for two professional references, and one reference from a leader in your church. Review of candidates will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the North Greenville University application below.