Assistant Professor of Education, English/Language Arts/Reading (ELAR) specialization
Website Wayland Baptist University
LOCATION: Wayland Baptist University (WBU) – Plainview Campus
ACADEMIC SCHOOL: Don A. Williams School of Education
SUPERVISED BY: Dean, Don A. Williams School of Education
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Teacher Candidates employed with Literacy Program housed in School of Education in partnership with local school districts.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: A full-time faculty member, the Assistant Professor of Education, ELAR is primarily responsible for teaching the ELAR undergraduate and graduate courses both face-to- face and online.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES:
- Be committed to student success.
- Prepare and teach (24) semester hours of courses each academic year.
- Maintain a minimum of 10 hours of office hours/week; be available for students outside of class and/or office hours.
- Academically advise undergraduate and graduate students and assist with registrations and recruiting events.
- Assist the Dean and faculty members in developing new programs, reporting data, selecting textbooks, and developing syllabi.
- Assist the Associate Dean with field supervision of clinical teachers, interns, and teacher candidates completing field work in schools.
- Attend meetings and serve on University, Faculty, and School Committees; participate in graduations and attend scheduled faculty and staff meetings.
The above statements are not a complete list of responsibilities, tasks, and duties performed by employees in this position. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Dean of the Don A. Williams School of Education or the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
A commitment to and an agreement with the purposes and philosophy of Christian higher education as promoted by the Baptist General Convention of Texas in general and Wayland Baptist University in particular.
Earned doctorate in Education, with a specialization in English/Language Arts/Reading and/or Literacy, from a regionally accredited institution of higher education. ABD applicants finalizing the dissertation may also be considered.
Experience and Knowledge
Successful applicants will have the following experience or knowledge:
- Preference will be given to individuals who have experience teaching Education courses in a college or university setting.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in teaching at the K-12 level, specifically in middle and/or secondary school.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience with, or interest in, online course development and/or teaching.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in advising students and developing plans.
- Preference will be given to applicants with teaching experience related to phonics, reading, and writing instruction.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in preparing candidates for edTPA.
- Preference may be given to applicants with 18 or more graduate hours in exercise sport or related physical activity field.
Skills and Abilities
Successful applicants will have the following skills or abilities:
- Fluency in the English language with excellent writing and speaking skills;
- The ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities with limited direct supervision;
- Proficiency with computers, technology, and related educational/classroom equipment;
- Willingness to integrate digital teaching and learning into courses;
- A strong interest in teaching and leading in the growth and development of undergraduate and graduate students;
- The ability and desire to balance the activities inherent with a full-time academic workload such as teaching, scholarly study, professional development, student advising and counseling, course and curriculum development, public service, assistance in the administration of the academic program, and related duties and activities;
- The ability and desire to apply Christian principles in the workplace.
- Endorsement by the Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Able to pass Background Checks
Wayland Baptist University is a four-year liberal arts university. The institution is affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. The Wayland Baptist University System is comprised of the Plainview campus, which is predominately a residential campus, ten external campuses, and the WBUonline Campus offering courses in a broad range of academic areas
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance. If hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Employee must be able and willing to travel and teach at external campuses. Must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
Wayland Baptist University does not illegally discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or genetic information. Under federal law, the university may discriminate on the basis of religion in order to fulfill its mission and purposes.