Assistant Professor – Department of Biology
Website Union University
Union University seeks a qualified individual for a tenure-track faculty position in Biology beginning Fall 2021. Rank assignment commensurate with education and experience. Teaching responsibilities may include Physiology, Developmental Biology, Introductory Biology for majors (with a cell and molecular emphasis), as well as courses in the area of expertise and others as assigned.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown, Hendersonville, and Memphis, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls about 3,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 48 states and 15 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top-tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence.
- Teach graduate and undergraduate courses such as Physiology (with lab), Developmental Biology (with lab), Introductory Biology for majors, courses in area of expertise (which could include our newly approved Neurobiology course), and others as assigned. Union has one of the few plastination facilities in the country, so opportunities exist to work in this area (optional).
- Design and deliver class instruction through the development of instructional plans to meet course competencies, the development of activities that support lesson objectives and the development of critical thinking skills.
- Facilitate/guide the progress of students toward achievement of course and program outcomes. Plan clear course outcomes. Assess records related to evaluation of student outcomes and course grades.
- Demonstrate a willingness to mentor undergraduate and graduate students in ongoing research projects. Opportunities exist for intra- and interdepartmental collaborations.
- Participate on university committees as assigned. Participate in program planning and School/Department standing and ad hoc committees as designated by the Dean.
- Participate in professional organizations and scholarly activities. Attend professional meetings, workshops, and/or conventions.
- Assist with Pre-Registration and Registration as necessary.
- Maintain effective interpersonal relationships with full and part-time faculty, staff, and all other persons having a direct impact on the program.
- Maintain regular office hours for student accessibility.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Ph.D. in an appropriate Biology-related discipline. Candidates who are ABD at the time of hiring will be expected to complete the terminal degree soon after arrival. Preference will be given to applicants with previous college-level teaching experience. The ideal candidate would have a background in Physiology.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission, and Core Values, and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.
To apply for this job please visit www.uu.edu.