Assistant/Associate Professor – Communication Studies
Website Oklahoma Baptist University
Department: School of Visual & Performing Arts Division of Communication Arts
Supervision Received: Dean, Theology, Arts, and Humanities and Chair, Division of Communication Arts
Supervision Given: Student Workers
OBU Mission Statement
OBU transforms lives by equipping students to pursue academic excellence, integrate faith with all areas of knowledge, engage a diverse world, and live worthy of the high calling of God in Christ.
Expectations for all Employees
Oklahoma Baptist University achieves its mission through a shared commitment to the following expectations. All employees are expected to embrace these expectations and to model them in their behavior.
- Commitment to the essentials of the Christian faith.
- People are treated with dignity and respect.
- Relationships are built on honesty, integrity, and trust.
- Excellence is achieved through teamwork, leadership, and a strong work ethic.
- Efficiency is achieved through wise management of human and financial resources.
Purpose: The purpose of the Assistant/Associate Professor of Communication Studies is to enhance the work and mission of the Division of Communication Arts by teaching courses in Communication Studies and related subjects and by contributing to the work of the university and the growth of the program and discipline.
- Teach a wide variety of undergraduate courses related to Communication Studies, including but not limited to; introductory public speaking, public relations, communication research, interpersonal communication, communication theory, organizational communication, digital communication, social media, and family communication;
- Recruit students to pursue a degree from the Division of Communication Arts;
- Work with university and community entities to develop opportunities for student internships and service;
- Encourage students to research in fields of Communication Studies, particularly by fostering presentation and publication opportunities as well as by personal example; and
- Advise students who are pursuing a degree in Communication Studies.
- Demonstrate excellence through personal academic and professional growth;
- Pursue active involvement with a national communication association (SSCA, CSCA, ICA, NCA, WSCA, or ESCA), including attendance at appropriate regional or national conferences;
- Work collaboratively across the School of Visual and Performing Arts for the promotion of the school;
- Participate in annual academic and programmatic assessments;
- Recommend revisions to related curriculum; and
- Serve on university committees as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated specialization in fields related to Communication Studies, including social media and digital communication;
- Demonstrated success as a classroom teacher, including solid knowledge of content, effective methods of delivery, and informative means of assessment;
- Ability to communicate effectively and to work collaboratively with future and current students, colleagues, and community members; and
- Ability to mentor student projects.
- Preferred: PhD in Communication Studies or related field
- Required: M.S. in Communication Studies or related field
- Preferred: Related administrative experience in the university setting and/or professional experience in Public Relations
- Required: Three years of experience teaching at the high school or college level
- Software related to the classroom and office environments
- Proficiency in the use of Learning Management Software
- Sufficient mobility and physical stamina to walk about the campus to visit various offices, and to travel to local, regional, and national locations
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Oklahoma Baptist University
- Must be an active member of a local evangelical church
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com